Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Little Old Ladies



I am not the type of neighbor who visits often, chit chats, etc. I have so many hobbies including writing, the piano, crocheting and knitting and music and the internet and I prefer those activities. Today, however, I made an exception. My neighbor in the next apartment invited me for coffee at her place at 2 p.m. She looked nervous asking me and looked lonely and looked hopeful and I just didn't have it in me to say no. So, off I go at 2 p.m. 18 steps to her door, carrying my small oxygen tank. I knocked once and the door swung wide open suddenly. I felt a little bit like a fly entering a spider's nest but I bucked up and stepped in. I always had my tank if I had to protect myself.

The apartment was immaculate with nice old furniture and curtains, knick knacks, etc. popular in the 60's. Her small dining room table was set with a green cloth, a nice Christmasy centerpiece, and 4 plates, cups and saucers (no one but me showed up :( She served 1/4 cup of red jello with tiny cinnamon candies in it, interesting. Pink angel food cake with red icing. A small dish with about 12 nuts on it. Fortunately, nuts are not allowed on a renal diet. Nor is coffee but I cheated and drank about 1/4th cup and had one cashew.



During the conversation, I nearly cracked up. Her hearing aid battery went dead about the same time my oxygen tank ran out of power. I can go about 20 minutes without oxygen but her hearing was gone! She jumped up and got her battery, clearly embarrassed, and I started counting down my minutes without air.

She told me her husband died 10 years ago (as did mine) and that she was lonely and was sorry she had sold her house and moved here (so am I) because her kids never visited. Familiar story of women who've lost their men. She said that I (me) am the youngest woman in the building. She is 84. She has absolutely no hobbies, no interests beyond some TV re-runs. When she asked me what I did, she looked mystified when I mentioned the computer. I told her I'd be glad to teach her how to use one, but she wasn't interested. She'd rather I go with her to McDonald's on Sunday and maybe to Hyvee's (grocery) once in a while. She didn't invite me to her Lutheran church, not being too keen on Baptists. :)

So when my air time ran out, I thanked her for the coffee, cake, jello and nut and made my way home. She thanked me for the candy and trinket I had given her. I promised I would go with her to Hyvee's and McDonald's occasionally. I really don't want to do that any more than she wants to do the computer but I don't have the heart to deny her. She's lonely.

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself un-spotted from the world.

That means if we have a pure religion, we will visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and will keep ourselves clean from the stains of the world. As a Christian, we cannot just do what pleases us all the time. We are not here alone and we need each other. I am proud of my self sufficiency but I also am a Christian with a heart, and that's a good thing and she may do as much for me as I do for her. Who knows?




I am turning into a hermit and that jello tasted quite good and I'm not suffering over the one cashew nut I ate. :) All silliness aside, I liked her.

5 comments:

  1. This is a warm and very funny post. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with your neighbor and hope you end up great friends. Nothing wrong with McDonald's at times. I'm craving a big Mac now. :) You are allowed hamburgers, right and soft drinks without the cocoa bean? Love ya. The scripture reference was a very good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww how sweet a story ,Iva..I truly believe God guides us to be in a persons life for one reason or other. In a good way, not clingy way.... I'll ditto John on the Big Mac-I have not had one in ten years...
    Iva, you are a true Christian with a heart and Im very glad to know you...
    I think your story about your visit with your neighbor was sweet and funny----funny because I could get a visual image of the jello and cake...
    PS My stuff strutted off on me a few years back loll...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet and amusing story. I love the way you write. Am leaving for the Christmas holiday so Merry Christmas, Iva. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made a difference in your neighbor's life that day. This time of year, a smile can warm the heart. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for visiting... :) I went to McDonald's with her last Sunday. I can't remember how long it had been since I went to McDonald's, many years, but the place hasn't changed much. She is so timid. I have never met anyone who shrinks into herself better than she does. I wonder what she really makes of me. I am pretty gregarious and nothing much intimidates me but a big man. lol I had a big Mac, John. :)

    ReplyDelete