Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer Time


Summer time and the living is easy, according to Sam Cooke - Summertime

Today was wonderful here in Iowa, temp in the 70's, nice breeze. I loved it. I was able to go to church today, a new friend taking me. Came home and fixed us some home-made onion rings, the thin kind I like, and some stewed squash, stewed in water, butter, onion diced and a small pinch of nut meg. Salted to taste. It all was wonderful. I am not vegan but I don't eat much meat, some stewed chicken now and then. That was lunch. About 7:30 p.m. made me some berry pancakes. Sometimes breakfast food is so good at night.





During Sunday School, a lady asked 'if God created the universe, who created God.' Our pastor gave the best and simplest answer I've heard so far for this question: He said:

"The universe (including time itself) can be shown to have had a beginning. It is unreasonable to believe something could begin to exist without a cause. The universe therefore requires a cause, just as Genesis 1:1 and Romans 1:20 teach.

God, as creator of time, is outside of time. Since therefore He has no beginning in time, He has always existed, so doesn't need a cause. He just 'is.' We who are trapped/controlled by time have a difficult time believing in 'timeless' existence but it is so."

In the news today, heard this very good news (to me anyway, having 'pain issues' as the young folks say. The medication I receive is very strong and effective but side effects that make life more difficult.

The article said:

"Saliva from humans has yielded a natural painkiller up to six times more powerful than morphine, researchers say. The substance, dubbed opiorphin, may spawn a new generation of natural painkillers that relieve pain as well as morphine but without the addictive and psychological side effects of thetraditional drug. When the researchers injected a pain-inducing chemical into rats'
paws, 1 milligram of opiorphin per kilogram of body weight achieved the same painkilling effect as 3 milligrams of morphine."

They believe they can synthesize the substance and begin to produce pain medicine from it soon. I hope it works... whew.

If you are a reader, check this out: Amazing number of good, and FREE ebooks

A ? for John: How do neurotic narcissists behave and should we avoid them?

As you must notice, my mind goes from one thing to another. I am overwhelmed most days at what I want to know or do and there is not enough time to do it all. :( But I still have tomorrows :) Thanks to God, prayers from loved ones.

At the near ending of this day, may







2 comments:

  1. Hi Iva,

    So glad you got to go to church, God bless your new friend :)

    Those onion rings look great! I love onion rings, skinny ones, fat ones, doesn't matter, lol. I imagine after eating your cooking, your new friend will be sure to give you a ride every Sunday... lol I am easily bribed with food.

    What an interesting article regarding the saliva! I am not surprised. I always knew that dogs have a natural antibiotic-type in their saliva, hence the licking of their wounds brings some healing. However, I wonder what the future holds.... "spit pills"...lol I will have to get over my aversion to slobber just in case I need some pain pills. I will have to look up the literature. I wonder if the chemical is at all specific to the individual, i.e., my spit works best for me.

    As a person interested in medicinal plants, I know that many effective medicines used today come from chemicals found in plants but I wonder if the efficacy is reduced due to synthesizing one chemical for a pill, rather than the sometimes thousands that are in a plant at any given time. Hmmm, going to google opiorphin now.....

    Lovely blog, as usual. :)
    Love,
    Elaine \o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I remember my mother's dog, Bani (named after Bani Sadr of Iran who was an evil man) licking my stepfather's legs. He was elderly and had ulcers on his legs. That was probably healing. My stepfather lived to be 96. He died then only because my mother had just died. :( I kept Bank until he died. The neighbors couldn't understand what mother would name a male dog Bonnie. ;)

    ReplyDelete